Saturday, July 28, 2012

DIY Sugar Cubes (partial fail)

I made a lot of stuff for my sister's shower. A lot of stuff. And most of it turned out good, really good, or fabulous. But a few things did not turn out as I expected. This was one of them. I am sharing it with you because that is just the way I am. I like to share my failings as well as my accomplishments (well some of them :) .

I found this recipe for DIY sugar cubes. They are absolutely adorable and I thought I would make them for the shower. They were super simple to put together. Less than 5 minutes!



Ingredients:
1c Sugar
1 1/2 T Water
Flexible ice/candy tray (fun shapes recommended)


Directions:

Mix sugar and water. Start with less water and add to it until it is the right consistency. You want it to still be grainy but wet enough to manipulate.
 Press into molds
Let dry. This is the part where my project failed. The original post said theirs dried overnight. Mine were nowhere near dry. I was curious so I left them sitting out to see how long it took them to dry. Two weeks later they were still wet. Well the white sugar ones were still wet. The brown sugar ones had dried after a couple days or a week I think. I used 2 T water for the white sugar cubes and 1 1/2 T water in the brown sugar cubes. That is part of it I think. Also the trays I used were technically candy molds and they were not flexible enough to get the sugar cubes out until they were completely dry. I now have a silicone ice cube tray. I am thinking about trying this again. If I do I'll let you know how it turns out.

The brown sugar ones turned out pretty cool!








What do you think? Are you going to give it a try?




Linking up to:
Nap Time Crafters, While He Was Napping, Cornerstone Confessions, A Pinch of Joy, Addicted to Recipes, Serendipity and Spice, My Favorite Finds,


2 comments:

  1. I've seen posts about this before and thought about giving it a try. I may still but it's good to have an honest recounting of how the project worked for you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I would still give them a try if you want. Just make sure you leave plenty of time and have a backup plan if they don't work :)

      Delete

I love to hear what you have to say! But please be nice, and please no spam. I do monitor every comment, if you are mean or spamming me it will not get published, so please do not bother writing it. Otherwise comment away! Can not wait to have a conversation with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...